Only a tad bit late on this one. Figured I’d post about it though.

Build and Shoot

In light of Jagex pushing out Ace of Spades 1.0 and abandoning 0.x, danheeze, izzy, and myself have decided to make a new community called Build and Shoot. We’re aiming at giving the Voxlap version of Ace of Spades a solid home. So far things have turned out quite well.

Master Server

The other week, I reverse-engineered and re-implemented the master server. That means game servers can connect to our master server to be listed on our serverlist. It also means that we are completely independent of Jagex, which is always a plus. At the time of writing this, we have over 60 servers using our master server.

Since the protocol is exactly the same, server owners don’t have much to do in order to use our master server. To see how to use our master server, please view this thread.

Currently, it supports 0.75. We will likely be adding support for 0.76 RC10 as well later on.

PySnip

Along with everything that has been going on, pyspades has been made closed-source. I have put together a forked version, dubbed “PySnip”. It’s been slightly modified in some areas and is designed to work with our master server. All maps except for random and classicgen have been removed to slim the download size down. All the previous maps can still be downloaded here.

Jagex’s master server has been down for quite some time now and I’m not sure if it’s going to come back. If they do put it back online, I might add the ability to connect to multiple master servers by declaring them in the configuration file like so:

{
    "master_servers" : {
        "enabled" : true,
        "hosts" : {
            "184.172.204.137" : 32886,
            "199.195.254.202" : 32886
        }
    }
}

More information here: https://code.google.com/p/pysnip/

If you would like to join Build and Shoot and play Ace of Spades Voxlap, please visit http://buildandshoot.com.

Since I keep getting messages from every direction about this, I figured I’d make a post.

Jagex has bought Ace of Spades and has shut down their master server. Spadille 1.5.1 (latest public release) used their master server and is therefor broken.

I will be updating this when I get the chance.

I will also likely be making a post regarding Ace of Spades 1.0, Jagex, and all that jazz.

For the time being, please visit our alternative community Build and Shoot. I have reverse-engineered the master server protocol and created a new one, along with creating a new, open-source game server called PySnip Google Code. We have a serverlist set up [here(http://www.buildandshoot.com/serverlist)here, where you can join servers just as you always have.

Visual Studio’s WinForm designer is outstanding in many ways. But recently I’ve found myself in a bit of a situation when using the designer along with an ImageList.

Upon trying to compile, I received an error stating “Error 322 Could not load file or assembly ‘<referenced assembly here>’ or one of its dependencies. An attempt was made to load a program with an incorrect format. Line 283, position 5. WinForm.resx 283”. This lead me to viewing the resource file for the WinForm I was working. More specifically, it was showing me the ImageStream (base64 encoded) for the ImageList.

Here are a few notes regarding my situation that might be relevant:

  • Using Visual Studio 2010 targeting .NET 2.0
  • Occurs using both Debug and Release modes
  • Solution platform - x86
  • Running Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
  • ImageList contains 5 16x16 PNG images with 32bit Bit Depth
  • The assembly it’s supposedly failing to load is a class library I have created which has no referenced resources (at least not externally)

Some quick Googling lead me to a Microsoft Connect [bug report(https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/details/532584/error-when-compiling-resx-file-seems-related-to-beta2-bug-5252020] where the issue was supposedly resolved…..in early 2011. Some users have found some hacky workarounds involving modifying the ImageStream, but that wasn’t the case for me. I eventually landed on a blog post with a few possible workarounds with the first one being the easiest (in my situation, at least). All I had to do was change the referenced assembly from x86 to AnyCPU. It seemed to have done the trick and I haven’t had any problems since. Hopefully this bug will actually be fixed/released by Microsoft, seeing as none of the workarounds are universally ideal for lots of project types.

8